A National Public Opinion Poll conducted by the American Psychological Association revealed:
- Two-thirds of both men and women say work has a significant impact on their stress level.
- 1 in 4 has called in sick or taken a ‘mental health day’ as a result of stress.
- Job stress is estimated to cost U.S. industry $300-billion a year in absenteeism, employee turnover and direct medical, legal and insurance costs.
Why are employers not begging employees to work the flexible hours they crave?
- Increasing employee involvement in the workplace empowers workers, involves them in decision-making and gives them increased autonomy (something Boomers seek).
- Increased employee involvement also increases job satisfaction, employee morale, commitment to the organization, increased productivity, reduced turnover and absenteeism.
- Ways to involve employees more include: self-managed work teams; participative decision-making and continuous improvement teams.
I’m surprised more workplaces don’t offer flexible work arrangements. I’m sure it would increase morale and profit.