2012 survey of hiring managers at 500 U.S. companies
(Braun Research survey, August 2012)
- 91% said mature workers are reliable.
- 85% regard older workers as professional.
- 77% said older workers are good listeners.
- 77% said older workers are organized.
- 75% said they have a strong work ethic.
- 75% said they have strong leadership skills.
HR Professionals cited the Advantages of Older Workers:
( Report from the Society for Human Resource Management (2003) Older Workers Survey)
- 72% said it’s their willingness to work different schedules.
- 72% said they have invaluable experience.
- 72% said they serve as mentors.
- 69% said they have a strong work ethic.
- 68% said they are more reliable.
A 2012 survey of small business owners in Canada finds:
(Source: Investor’s Group (2012) A little bit older, A little bit wiser)
- 85% of small business owners said workers age 65+ are just as productive as younger workers.
- 79% agreed that older workers have the required level of energy and ambition for their jobs.
Tip for those of you updating your resumes – include these personal qualities as some of your selling points.